Children can have fun and get good practice in listening to English by watching videos made for their age group.
If you watch and listen with your child it can be a useful and pleasant experience for you both.
- YouTube has videos of traditional stories you can easily find, such as Cinderella, Snow White or Sleeping Beauty. You and your child may know these stories in your first language so it should be easy to understand and enjoy the English versions.
- There are a lot of websites which can help your child practise listening. For example, you can watch children’s TV programmes with cartoon characters and real children at www.whatsyournews.com*.
- It’s better to spend 5 or 10 minutes a day listening to English with your child than doing a whole hour once a week.
- Share a happy experience by listening to stories together then talking about them with your child.
- Build listening into your child’s daily routine – 5 minutes before they go to bed, for example.
Recommended: Cambridge English TV channel on YouTube.